Hardware Comparison: Panelview 1000, Panelview Plus, and Panelview 1000E
|FAMILY:||PanelView Standard||PanelView Plus 6/ 7||PanelView Enhanced|
|TERMINAL:||PanelView 1000||PanelView Plus 7||1000E|
|Programming Software:||PanelBuilder 32 (2711-ND3)||Studio 5000 Environment||PanelBuilder 1400E (2711E-ND1)|
Through the years Rockwell has manufactured many different lines of PanelView HMI products. One of the most popular products was the PanelView Standard line of products which includes the PanelView 1000, launched in 1998. The PanelView 1000, which replaced the PV 900 was available in both grayscale (orange) and color with both Keypad and Touch Input options. The PV 1000 (grayscale) utilized a 10.4” Electro Luminescent display with VGA resolution while the Color model had a similarly sized color VGA active matrix TFT display. Communications options depend on part number configuration but included the full range of protocols and interfaces (DH+, Remote I/O, DeviceNet, ControlNet and Ethernet/IP.) The PanelView Standard line has been discontinued by Rockwell at the end of 2012. Replacement of these HMIs requires engineering to adapt existing applications and form, fit and function are not compatible with newer series PanelViews.
Around the same time, Rockwell also produced the PanelView Enhanced line. The PanelView 1000E has the exact same size screen as the PanelVew1000 (10.4”), similar VGA resolution and similar communication options. However, the applications are incompatible between the PanelView 1000 and 1000E. The PanelView 1000E is programmed using PanelBuilder 1400E software whereas the PV1000 utilized Panelbuilder 32 software. The Panelview 1000E was discontinued at the end of 2009. Similarly, replacement of these HMIs requires engineering to adapt existing applications and form, fit and function are not compatible with newer series PanelViews.
The PanelView Plus series was introduced around the year 2000. The original PanelView Plus came in four different versions and included a compact flash card slot, a USB port and a DB9 serial port in addition to various communication options. Configurations were Touchscreen only, Keypad Only and Touchscreen/Keypad combination units. The original PanelView Plus versions were:
- PanelView Plus (700,1000, 1250, 1500) These models had displays ranging from 7” to 15” and had replacable bezels and modular construction to allow the addition of various power supplies and communication options.
- VersaView / PanelView Plus CE models were identical to the PV plus but included more memory and had the Windows CE operating system exposed to the user.
- PanelView Plus 400 & 600 were just a smaller non-modular version of the PanelView Plus
- PanelView Plus Compact models were lower cost, reduced functionality versions of the PanelView Plus. These terminals were DC input only and had communication and display capacity limitations (one PLC, 25 displays and 200 alarm maximum.)
PanelView Plus 6 series terminals came in the four different versions as well and included a compact SD card slot, a USB port and a DB9 serial port in addition to various communication options. Configurations were Touchscreen only, Keypad Only and Touchscreen/Keypad combination units. The Plus 6 terminals were similar to the PV Plus models but included faster processors and more memory. The Enhanced version also included Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office Viewers. The PanelView Plus 6 is programmed utilizing the Studio 5000 Environment. The Panelview Plus 6 terminal has reached end of life status and will be discontinued by Rockwell on September 30th, 2020. New applications should use the Panelview Plus 7 terminal.
PanelView Plus 6 version include:
- PanelView Plus 6 (standard) (700, 1000, 1250, 1500)
- PanelView Plus 6 Enhanced (700, 1000, 1250, 1500)
- PanelView Plus 6 400 and 600 (4” and 6” display)
- PanelView Plus 6 Compact (4” and 6” display)
Panelview Plus 7 Series was released at the beginning of 2015. Unlike the PanelView Plus 6 which replaced the original PanelView Plus, the PanelView Plus 7 is a new line of products with unique features and differences:
- The PanelView Plus 7 (standard) is similar to the “Compact” PanelView Plus 6. It has similar limitations of one PLC, 50 displays and 500 alarms just like the PanelView Plus 6 Compact. If you need more than 25 displays, the PanelView Plus 7 Standard is not the model to choose. Screen sizes include (4,6,7,9,10,12 and 15”)
- The PanelView Plus 7 Performance models have larger screen options, more powerful processors, and additional connectivity options than that of the PanelView Plus 7 Standard Terminals. Screen sizes include (7,9,10,12,15 and 19”.) There is no limit (based on memory and CPU) on screen count, PLC controllers or alarms in the PanelView Plus7 Performance terminals.
- The Performance model also includes a two-port DLR (device level ring) Ethernet switch for enhanced connectivity not available in the standard Model.
The PanelView Plus 7 Performance line of terminals with larger screen options, more powerful processors and additional connectivity options could reduce the need for multiple smaller HMIs or even replace PC-based HMIs.
That concludes our comparison article for this week! Come back next week for another article exploring the differences between your favorite pieces of hardware.
Have a suggestion for products we should compare? Leave a comment below, or send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn.