PanelView 800 vs PanelView Plus 7
Allen-Bradley PanelViews are graphical operator interfaces, similar to Human-Machine Interfaces (HMIs). They are a combination of hardware and software through which users interact with a controller. These PanelView terminals are popular in a variety of industrial applications that require monitoring, control, and graphical display of operational data. Their color graphics displays allow operators to quickly understand the status of the controller and the system or machine being controlled, to make better control decisions.
However, with so many different PanelView terminals available from Rockwell Automation, selecting the right one for your application can be confusing especially if you’re not familiar with their features. This article seeks to provide a detailed comparison of PanelView 800 and PanelView plus 7, to hopefully assist you to make a more informed choice between the two.
PanelView 800 Overview
PanelView 800 terminals are color graphic Human-Machine Interface (HMI) devices under Allen-Bradley Bulletin 2711R. They provide intelligent visual control solutions for remote monitoring and controlling industrial systems connected to a controller. They feature a high-resolution display that provides clear color images, and a TFT (Thin Film Transistor)-based intuitive touch screen that acts both as an interface device and a content displayer. In addition, the terminals are equipped with high-performance processors for quick response times and fast operating speeds, further enhancing their convenience and efficiency. Also, their high flash and dynamic memories allow for optimal storage space.
Moreover, PanelView 800 terminals support a variety of communication options through built-in Ethernet and serial ports. Overall, these terminals provide operators with enhanced remote monitoring capabilities and improved usability-with a choice between touch screen or keypad options for operator input.
Key Features and Benefits
- It’s equipped with a high-performance 800MHz CPU-based processor that has a memory capacity of 256 MB (Megabytes).
- Offers remote monitoring and troubleshooting with Virtual Network Computing (VNC) server.
- Provides wide and easy-to-read TFT touch screens that are well-lit and simple to operate.
- Provides multi-language support with localized keyboard for different languages including German, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Korean, and Italian. This allows for excellent versatility and convenience.
- Provides the capability to download and upload groups of parameter settings or data within the recipe feature.
- Includes microSD™ and USB host port that supports updating of firmware or file transfer.
- Optimized for compatibility with CompactLogix™ 5370 series L1, L2, and L3; Micro800™; CompactLogix 5380 and Compact GuardLogix® 5380-L306x controllers. That’s why PanelView 800 terminals are suitable for mid-size industrial applications.
- Supports pass-through download and direct tag referencing in Micro800™ controllers.
- Offers multiple communication protocols allowing compatibility with a broad range of systems.
- Includes alarm functionalities to notify operators of malfunctions or errors. Alarm messages can include alarm status/history and embedded variables.
- Provides flexible application modes in portrait and landscape.
Available PanelView 800 Terminals
The Allen-Bradley PanelView 800 platform features 4-inch (4’’), 7-inch (4’’), and 10-inch (4’’) graphic display terminals, as shown below.
|Model||Catalog No.||Display Size||Display Type||Input Type|
|PanelView 800||2711R-T4T||4 inch||Color transmissive TFT||Analog Touch Screen and function keys|
|PanelView 800||2711R-T7T||7 inch||Color transmissive TFT||Analog Touch screen|
|PanelView 800||2711R-T10T||10 inch||Color transmissive TFT||Analog Touch screen|
The aforementioned PanelView 800 graphic terminals (2711R-T4T; 2711R-T7T; 2711R-T10T) support the following industrial applications:
- Material Handling
- Stretch wrap machines
- Adhesive labelers
- Air handling units
PanelView Plus 7 Overview
The PanelView™ Plus 7 is a graphic terminal from Rockwell Automation under Allen-Bradley Bulletin 2711P. This development environment simplifies and strengthens the configuration of your Integrated Architecture® control solution. Plus 7 terminals also include Ethernet connectivity enabling users to remotely monitor applications with Virtual Network Computing (VNC) server. They are available in Performance and Standard versions.
A) PanelView Plus 7- Standard Terminals
These are operator interfaces that monitor and control devices connected to CompactLogix™ 5370 and ControlLogix® 5570 over an EtherNet/IP network. Their text and animated graphic displays enable operators to view the operating state of a process or machine. Also, they allow operators to use a touchscreen-only input to interact with the control system.
Features and Benefits
The Standard PanelView plus 7 terminals includes the following features:
Terminal functionality allows connection to a single controller and a maximum of 100 screens while providing up to 500 alarms.
Windows CE 6.0 Operating System (OS) with standard features like desktop access for controller configuration and third-party applications.
A high memory capacity that includes 512 MB (Megabytes) of RAM and 512 MB for non-volatile storage- with about 80 MB available for user memory.
Supports the use of a USB drive or an SD card for quickly copying and restoring the operator interface application programs.
Color TFT Liquid Crystal Display, with 18-bit color graphics
Greater screen resolution.
Device Level Ring (DLR) or single Ethernet ports which support star and linear network topologies.
10/100 Mbps Ethernet 1 x RJ45 port with IEEE 1588 support and Auto-MDI/MDI-X feature.
Capabilities for email and texting notifications.
A PDF viewer for accessing PDF files stored on the terminal.
Terminals are available as Allen Bradley® branded or non-branded versions that allow users to customize them according to their brand labels.
Available PanelView Plus 7 – Standard Terminals
Allen-Bradley PanelView Plus 7 Standard terminals are available in multiple display size options including 4-inch(4”), 6-inch(6”), 7-inch(7”), 9-inch(9”), 10-inch(10”), 12-inch(12”), and 15-inch(15”) terminals. The 4-inch, 9-inch, and 12-inch terminals have widescreens. In terms of catalog numbers, the available Plus 7 Standard terminals include:
- 4-inch (Wide): 2711P-T4W21D8S; 2711P-T4W21D8S-B; 2711P-T4W22D8S;
- 6-inch: 2711P-T6C21D8S; 2711P-T6C21D8S-B; 2711P-T6C22D8S; 2711P-T6C22D8S-B
- 7-inch: 2711P-T7C21D8S; 2711P-T7C21D8S-B; 2711P-T7C22D8S; 2711P-T7C22D8S-B
- 9-inch (Wide): 2711P-T9W21D8S; 2711P-T9W21D8S-B; 2711P-T9W22D8S; 2711P-T9W22D8S-B
- 10-inch: 2711P-T10C21D8S; 2711P-T10C21D8S-B; 2711P-T10C22D8S; 2711P-T10C22D8S-B
- 12-inch(Wide): 2711P-T12W21D8S; 2711P-T12W21D8S-B; 2711P-T12W22D8S; 2711P-T12W22D8S-B
- 15-inch: 2711P-T15C21D8S; 2711P-T15C21D8S-B; 2711P-T15C22D8S; 2711P-T15C22D8S-B
Standard PanelView plus 7 terminals are restricted to these applications:
- A maximum of 100 screens and 500 alarm messages
- Communications are supported only over Ethernet.
In general, PanelView plus 7 Standard graphic terminals are ideal for industrial applications which require monitoring, control, and display of information in dynamic ways; where the operators need to quickly understand machine or process status and make informed control decisions. Also, given that these terminals are available in a variety of displays sizes that include widescreen options, users can select exactly what meets their application needs.
B) PanelView Plus 7-Performance Terminals
The Performance PanelView™ Plus 7 graphic terminals were developed to broaden the visualization and control capabilities of the previously released Plus 7 Standard terminals. The Plus 7 Performance terminals feature more processing power, larger screen options, greater programming software support, and expanded network connectivity. Operator terminals with such features simplify and streamline visualization in large and complex industrial applications.
Features and Benefits
PanelView Plus 7- Performance graphic terminals include the following features:
Connection to CompactLogix or ControlLogix controllers, with the ability to connect to multiple controllers. This makes the Plus 7 Performance terminals more flexible for star and ring network configurations.
Windows CE 6.0 and Windows 10 IoT Core (LTSC) Operating System with secured desktop access for configuration purposes and creating third-party applications.
Higher memory capacity of 4 GB (Gigabytes) RAM, 20 GB non-volatile memory, and about 2 GB free user memory.
Two Ethernet ports that support Device Level Ring (DLR), star, or linear network topologies.
Color TFT Liquid Crystal Displays, with 18-bit color graphics.
Microsoft file viewers, remote desktop connection, PDF viewer, Web browser, medial player, and text editor on the terminal desktop.
Video playback support that provides advanced user-help capabilities.
Monitoring of applications from remote locations connectivity and VNC Server/Client.
Texting and email notification reporting.
Supports the use of a USB drive or SD card for file transfer and restoring the operator interface programs.
Available PanelView Plus 7- Performance Terminals
Rockwell Automation avails a wide range of PanelView plus 7 Performance terminals with different display sizes-from 7 inches to 19 inches. These terminals also provide keypad/touch screen inputs and widescreen options. The available models in this category include:
- 7-inch: 2711P-T7C22D9P; 2711P-T7C22D9PK; 2711P-T7C22D9P-B; 2711P-B7C22D9P; 2711P-B7C22D9P-B
- 9-inch (Wide): 2711P-T9W22D9P; 2711P-T9W22D9PK; 2711P-T9W22D9P-B; 2711P-T9W22D9P-BSHK
- 10-inch: 2711P-T10C22D9P; 2711P-T10C22D9PK; 2711P-T10C22D9P-B; 2711P-B10C22D9P; 2711P-B10C22D9P-B
- 12-inch(Wide): 2711P-T12W22D9P; 2711P-T12W22D9PK; 2711P-T12W22D9P-B; 2711P-T12W22D9P-BSHK
- 15-inch: 2711P-T15C22D9P; 2711P-T15C22D9PK; 2711P-T15C22D9P-B; 2711P-B15C22D9P; 2711P-B15C22D9PK; 2711P-B15C22D9P-B
- 19-inch: 2711P-T19C22D9P; 2711P-T19C22D9PK; 2711P-T19C22D9P-B
Note: PanelView plus 7 Performance terminals are available in conformally coated, stainless steel, and on-machine (ArmorView™ Plus 7) versions. These terminal options provide greater flexibility to allow you to meet your specific application needs. They are as discussed below:
- Conformally Coated Versions: Their severity tolerance level is rated as GX per the ANSI/ISA 71.04-2013 standards. They are available on all DC-powered Plus 7 Performance terminals with touchscreen-only displays, and on 15-inch DC-powered terminals with touch screen/keypad displays.
- Stainless Steel Versions: These versions include stainless steel 304 bezel, conformal coating, and a replaceable blue food-grade/hygienic silicone gasket. They are NSF certified, UL IP69 rated, and tested to IP69K as per ISO 20653. Stainless steel, conformally-coated, hygienic, non-branded, and DC-power options are available for the 9-inch widescreen, touchscreen-only terminals, and the 12-inch widescreen, touchscreen-only terminals.
- ArmorView™ Plus 7 Versions: They are also referred to as On-machine mounting versions. They feature IP66 protection for HMI solutions without cabinet enclosures. They include options to increase adaptabilities such as orientation mounting options from either a fixed surface, swing arm, or pedestal. They also provide standard configurations with a sixteen-button plate, and an option to individually customize switches and buttons. They are available for DC-powered, 12-inch widescreen terminals whose input type is touchscreen-only
PanelView Plus 7 Performance terminals from Rockwell Automation are well suited for heavy process industrial applications, where large machine builders often require multiple graphic terminals or personal computers (PCs) to monitor information and trends of complex applications. So, with the Plus 7 Performance models, machine builders can consolidate the monitoring and control hardware into a single operator interface where hundreds of screens, alarms and controller tags can be accessed and monitored conveniently.
Comparison Between PanelView 800 and PanelView Plus 7
Let’s now compare the features and functionalities of PanelView 800 terminals and PanelView plus 7(both Standard and Professional terminals).
A) Compatible Contollers
PanelView 800 terminals are compatible with small and microcontrollers from Rockwell Automation including Allen-Bradley® SLC™ 500, CompactLogix™ 5370 (excluding L37 and L38), CompactLogix 5380 (5069-L306xxx), MicroLogix™, and Micro800® families of logic controllers.
On the contrary, both Standard and Performance PanelView Plus 7 terminals connect to CompactLogix™ 5370 and ControlLogix® 5570 Controllers, CompactLogix 5380 and ControlLogix 5580 Controllers, CompactLogix 5480 Controllers, Micro800® Controllers, and Third-Party Controllers.
Note: PanelView 800 terminals can connect to a maximum of four controllers within a system, while PanelView plus 7 Standard versions can only connect to one controller. But Plus 7 Performance terminals can connect to multiple controllers based on their memory and CPU capabilities.
B) Operating System
PanelView 800 terminals do not provide any Operating System (OS). But PanelView plus 7 Standard and Series-A Performance terminals provide the Windows CE 6.0 Operating System. In addition, the Series-B Plus 7 Performance terminals provide Windows 10 IoT Core (LTSC) Operating System. The Windows CE 6.0 OS includes several monitoring and control features like VNC Client/Server, FTP Server, ActiveX controls, PDF reader, and third-party device support.
C) Remote Monitoring
Both PanelView 800 and PanelView plus 7 allow for monitoring and troubleshooting of applications from remote locations with a Virtual Network Computing (VNC) Server. In addition, both Standard and Performance PanelView Plus 7 terminals offer remote monitoring with Remote Desktop client, VNC client, FTP server, and a Web HMI Server for remote viewing or control.
D) Memory and System Storage
PanelView 800 has a high memory capacity of 256 MB of RAM and 256 MB for system storage. However, PanelView plus 7 has much higher memory capabilities, with the Standard terminals and Series-A Performance terminals providing 512 MB of RAM, 512 MB for non-volatile storage, and approximately 80 MB of free memory for user storage. While Series-B Plus 7 Performance terminals provide 4 GB of RAM, 20 GB for non-volatile storage, and approximately 2 GB for user storage.
PanelView 800 terminals support both EtherNet/IP and serial communications through built-in Ethernet and serial ports, respectively. The supported serial protocols include RS-232 (DF1), RS-485, and RS-232 (DH-485). PanelView 800 can also a variety of third-party network communications through Modbus TCP, Modbus RTU (Master and Slave/Unsolicited), and Modbus ASCII.
Conversely, PanelView plus 7 terminals support only EtherNet/IP communications. Device Level Ring (DLR) support is included on the Plus 7 Performance terminals but it’s optional on the Standard terminals. However, both Plus 7 Performance and Standard terminals include Kepware Server for supporting third-party Ethernet protocols.
F) Screen and Alarm Count
PanelView 800 is limited to 50 graphics screens and supports up to 1000 alarm trigger conditions. On the other hand, the PanelView Plus 7 Standard terminal allows a maximum of 100 graphics screens within a given control system and is limited to 500 system alarms. But the Plus 7 Performance terminal does not limit graphics screens or system alarms. The only limiting factor is its selected CPU and memory capacity.
Note: Both PanelView 800 and PanelView plus 7 include texting and email notification reporting capabilities, and HMI-based Alarms. But in PanelView 800 the email reporting feature is not applicable when such terminals are connected to CompactLogix controllers.
G) Input Type
PanelView 800 provides two different types of inputs: (i) Touch screen-only; (ii) Touch screen and four function keys. While PanelView plus 7 Standard terminals provide a single input type, touch-screen only. Plus 7 Performance terminals also provide two different input types, but unlike PanelView 800 their input options are (i) Touch screen-only; (ii) Touch screen/Keypad.
PanelView 800 does not support any viewers available with Windows OS. However, PanelView plus 7 supports different viewers, with the Plus 7 Standard terminals offering a PDF viewer only. While Plus 7 Performance terminals allow a number of viewers including PDF, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, a Media Player, and a Web Browser.